Wednesday 3 February 2021

The Equinox

  Hi Antony here!

Today's project is a follow on from another canvas of mine,
"Celestial Love" Once again I've written a short verse to go along with
it and a little music video too. Before I get into the crafting part of this post,
here's both the verse and video for the canvas, "The Equinox"

The Moon had written his love for the Sun
using the brightest stars in the midnight sky.
As the cogs of time turned and night became
day, the union of love between the Sun
and the Moon got ever closer.
Mother Nature peered out to gaze upon them
both, as they met in the warm morning sky.
She smiled as she slowly rose into the sky and
encircled them both with her mighty majestic wings.
“I will call this union of your love, The Equinox”
she said“ Love each other equally and you'll
blossom forever”
And so until the end of time, the Sun and
the Moon loved one another.
©2021 Antony James Minnis


Ok... now to a bit of crafting!
As I mentioned this canvas was a follow on from my previous one, so
I've mainly used the same techniques to achieve a similar look.
The main difference is the textured background.


Step 1 Using an old shirt, I ripped it into strips of about 10cm wide. Next came
the slightly messy bit! I filled a small plastic bowl with a product from Prima
called Sculpture Medium. It's a fabric hardening medium that is similar to
Powertex. However unlike projects coated with Powertex, the finished item
isn't weather proof.

Step 2 I massaged the Sculpture medium into the material until is was
thoroughly soaked. I left it soaking whilst I took a 6mm sheet of MDF and
stuck some hessian pieces on. I used the Sculpture Medium as a glue to
stick these on and paint over them.
Taking the soaked pieces of material, I then placed them onto the canvas,
making sure they had plenty of folds in. The Sculpture Medium on the
soak material was enough to stick this to the MDF sheet too.

Step 3 Using art balls of various sizes, I mixed them together with the
Sculpture Medium paint, into a gritty paste. Using an old paint brush I then
scooped up the paste and applied it to areas of the canvas. I then left the
canvas to dry overnight before painting over everything once more with the
Sculpture Medium paint. Once again I left this overnight to dry, but you
can force dry it with a craft heat tool if you wish.

Step 4 Once dry I painted over the entire surface with some black acrylic
paint. Once that was dry I then started to dry brush on a magenta acrylic
paint, followed by a turquoise coloured acrylic paint.
I went over both colours with a second coat to make sure the colours
could be seen on the black. Next, using a copper coloured gilding wax,
I went over the highpoints on the textured areas to help them stand
out more. Finally I used Starlight paints from Imagination
Crafts, to dry brush on to selected areas to add a bit of sparkle.

Step 5 Once the background was dry, I started to add the 3D embellishments
that i'd made using clay from FMM and moulds from Prima. If you want
to find out the process for colouring them, please take a look at my other
canvas "Celestial Love" and Step 2 in it.
 The only difference with the embellishments in this canvas, is that after
applying the 3 colours of gilding paint, I then dry brushed on some turquoise
coloured acrylic paint to help give it a sort of verdigris/aged look. 





Hope you enjoyed this blog post.


Until next time, Happy Crafting!

Antony

No comments:

Post a Comment