Monday 19 December 2016

Quick Christmas Make

Hello to all our crafting friends, Antony here for a really quick Christmas make.
This one only took about 45 minutes to complete. I'd been seeing loads of
beautiful fairy jars on Facebook and Pinterest. The only problem for me was
that during the day the jars looked... well just looked like white jars. The interest was
only there when it was dark and they were lit! 


So for this make I'm using an old Douwe Egberts coffee jar, some snowflake
dies, Crafters Companion Mixed Media tag dies, Pinflair Regal Purple Liquid Buff-it
white glass paint, Let It Snow die from the Sue Wilson range, silver die ink
rustic string, battery powered tea lights and finally Pinflair's Iridescent
Gellitex paste.


Step1 Firstly using a sponge I applied white glass paint over the whole
jar. I had tried white alcohol ink first time round, but when the jar was
lit from inside it looked all patchy!


Step 2 Whilst the white glass paint dried I used the Mixed Media tag dies from
Crafters Companion and cut out some tag shapes from some thick white
card stock. I also die cut a snowflake that I stuck onto one of the tags.
For the tag underneath I cut out a tag using thinner card stock and then
 embossed it using a small circle embossing folder. Using silver die ink, I
applied it lightly over the raised areas using a sponge. 


Step 3 I cut the large text die "Let it Snow" and some other snowflakes
using 300gsm white card stock. Using a sponge I then added Pinflair
 Gellitex over the whole of the jar. I pounced the Gellitex on very quickly
and quite thinly. I placed the die cut text and snowflakes into the still wet
 Gellitex, then I force dried the Gellitex from a distance using a craft heat tool.
I then applied another thin coating of Gellitex over the jar once again.
The second coat actually seals the die cuts in place.


Step 4 Again I force dried the second coat of Gellitex and then using
the silver dye ink I applied it round the neck of the jar and also at the
botton. For the lid, I firstly took off the plastic stopper and painted the
inside using Pinflair's Liquid Buff-it. I force dried the Liquid Buff-it
and then painted a second coat on. Before placing the plastic
stopper back in place I force dried the Liquid Buff-it once more.

Step 5 Using some rustic string I tied the two card tags in place
around the neck of the jar and finished it with a bow.


  
Step 6 With all the decorating done all that was left was to open
the jar and put 2 battery powered tea lights inside... step back and
admire. I think you'll agree the jar looks just as nice to look
at in daylight and when lit both during the day and with the
lights off.

 
Hope you like this really quick make.... all of 45 minutes to create something
beautiful, unique and practical out of an old coffee jar. If you want to, you could also
add a drop of Liquid Buff-it to the Gellitex to colour it, or sprinkle
some glitter over the wet surface. As well as Iridescent Gellitex, there is
also a transparent version too!
Try also using coloured die cuts for non Christmas themed projects.... one
of which I will share with you all in the new year!
 
Until next time, Happy Crafting!

 
Antony


No comments:

Post a Comment